[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Source for Pole Pigs and metal spheres.

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Mon Jan 13 21:45:58 1997
> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 00:24:00 -0600
> From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Source for Pole Pigs and metal spheres.
>
> >Kevin -
> >
> >  Way to go with the power people!
> >
> >  Those caps are for power-factor correction, big time. They are
> >rated in VAR (Volts-Amps Reactive). You can get the capacitance
> >value with a formula -- which I *don't* have handy -- or take a
> >small cap meter along with you and check 'em on the spot. (Just
> >short them out momentarily BEFORE you measure them.)
> >
> >- Brent
> >

> !!!!!!!!!!
> Well I'll Be SOB! That guy kept saying they are bla bla bla VAR's, I know
> what you are talking about now, I have another good use for them:) Thanks!
> I wanted to try them on the TC but guess not, BUT will they work across my
> neon input? can that be the filter I have been looking for all along?????????
>
>                                        Regards,
>                                             Kevin Nardelle

If the resulting capacitance is low enough, they *will* work as
a primary tank capacitor. They aren't the absolute word in caps,
but are a step up from salt-water and bottle designs. Nice thing
is that they are made for connection to AC voltage...

 - Brent

(BTW - I used one of them quite successfully in a TC I built years
ago...before I really knew what the hell I was doing.)