[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rotary

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: rotary
>
> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Mon Jan 27 22:16:55 1997
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 07:17:03 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: rotary
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Sun Jan 26 22:11:21 1997
> > Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 06:46:58 -0800
> > From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: rotary
> >
> > I have noticed several photos on the list in the last few weeks.  Thought
> > someone might be interested in these photo of a rotary spark gap.
> >
> > Gary Weaver
> >
> >  [Image]
>
> Gary,
>
> Nice, clean looking rotary! What material was used for the rotor, and
> what are some of the specs on this beast? (Is it synchronous, RPM, rotor
> and electrode diameter, performance, etc...).
>
> -- Bert --

Bert -

  Not to step on Gary's toes, but the photos are of the rotary gap
I built and am using in my large coil. The black motor is a 1750-RPM
motor modified to run 1800-RPM full synchronous. The rotor material
is black Micarta (phenolic), and the rotating electrodes are 1/8"
pure tungsten TIG rod. The latest re-incarnation of this gap now uses
a 3450-RPM motor modified to 3600-RPM full synchonous. The latest
pictures of the coil running with this gap are in my directory on
the funet server. (/turner) One of the 'bigcoil' images is a closeup
of the base, showing the rotary gap next to a few blue caps for
perspective.

- Brent  (bturner-at-apc-dot-net)