[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Replacements

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com Sun Jan  5 21:42:43 1997
> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:42:48 -0500
> From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Spark Gap Replacements >> Subject: Spark Gap Replacements

<SNIP>
> the
>  >>> alternating 1st or 2nd), to gauge the effect on the spark length?
>
>  >Yes, and beyond. By switching off the air-flow and vacuum to the gaps, I
>  >can "saturate" them as I increase input power - thereby causing them to
>  >quench at later transfer cycles. Secondary streamer length climbs with
> >increasing power, peaks out, and then begins significantly shrinking to
> > perhaps no more than half the maximum length.
>
> Increasing power?  Do you mean variac input power, or or you mean power due
> to energy transfer from pri to sec?   I assume the shrinking spark occured at
> "later" notch  quenchings?  How many notches were needed to reduce the spark
> to half its maximum length would you say?

Yes, variac voltage. Once the gap started saturating, increased input
power seemed to worsen the output. Half length (or less) streamers
occurred as I started hitting 4 or transfers.

> >The gaps also "brighten"
>  >significantly from the additional energy being dissipated, and they make
> >a distinctly "duller" sound. I've always focussed on trying to get from
>  >two energy transfers down to one. Quenching later consistently gives
>  >poorer output performance, both theoretically and practically.
>  >

> Thanks for the info on your system.   This data parallels my own findings.
>  BTW , do I understand correctly that your tests were done at 1 or 2 kW or
> higher?

Full input power runs about 3000-3200 Watts (26-27 Amps at 120 VAC,
power factor corrected).

 This seems to give hope to the idea of quenching on the first notch
> without using a thyratron, although I do want to try the thyratron method.
>  Quench is best at first notch,  earlier is NG as shown by Richard Hull's
> excellent thryratron work, and later is NG as shown by all of our work.

> > Safe coiling to you as well, John!
>
> >-- Bert --
>   >>

> Happy coiling,
>
> John Freau

True first-notch quenching should certainly be achievable with a
properly designed rotary gap, and even with an air-blast gap.

Safe coilin' to you, John!

-- Bert --