[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests Subject: Optimal Quenching Tests

> <<snip
 >>  Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Sat Jan  4 21:54:49 1997
 >> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 19:34:26 -0800
 > > From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
 > > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 > > Subject: Optimal Quenching Tests
 >
 >>  Hi all!
 >
 >> >I had a few more thoughts on quenching after answering John Freau's post
 >>>today.
 >
 >>  >The bottom line:
 > >> Existing methods for estimating proper quenching time predict
 >> > excessively long quench times.
 >
 >> snip
 >> However,  the Corums' theories, as expressed in TC Tutor and elsewhere,
do
 > >account for spark-gap losses.  Their TC tutor program shows this nicely;
 if
 >>you change the primary resistance value, the 1st beat notch "time of
 > >occurance" will change accordingly.  In one of my tests, experimental
 > >observed quench  time was ~ 8 uS.  I  plugged in a value of 10 ohms for
the
 > >primary losses, and  the program gave me a ~ 8 uS quench time.  If I
plugged
 > >in a 1 ohm resistance, the program gave me a ~ 10 uS quench time.   I of
have
 >>no idea what my actual primary resistance is, but it seems reasonable to
me
 >> that it is about 10 ohms.  Thus, I find complete agreement with my
 >> experimental findings and the Corums' quench time theories.
 >>
 > John Freau

 >John,

 >Thanks for the update. I don't have the TC Tutor program, but do have
 >their "Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils" book. When I did an indirect measurement
 >of my primary alone, by measuring Q under high power, then back-figuring
>the "effective" series resistance of the gap, primary, and associated
> wiring, I got a value of about 8 ohms. Plugging this into a PSPICE model
 >for my coil, I get results which are in the same ballpark. Malcolm did
 >some earlier spark-gap measurements which indicated that, in reality,
 >the gap's non-linear characteristics could actually result linear,
 >rather than exponential, decay if primary current.

 >Safe coilin' to you!

 -- Bert --

Bert,

I'm not familiar with methods for measuring the Q under high power, could you
explain your technique?  Also could you explain how you back figured the
effective resistance?  I am not familiar with Malcolm's non-linear--linear
work, could you explain this also?  (many questions today :-)  ).

Happy and effective coiling,

John Freau