[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Building my first TC

> >I have finally got two parts for my tesla coil. Neon sign transformer
> >and secondary coil. I would be grateful if somebody could calculate
> >turns and other specs for primary coil (flat pancake). I would also like to
> >have tips about building capacitor (what type?).

> >Transformer:
> >Input voltage :   230V, 50Hz
> >Input current:    0.78A
> >Output voltage: 4000-PE (what the hell that means?)
> >Output current: 35mA
> >Output power.  180W (output voltage must be about 5140V)
> >Impedance:        146940 ohms (calculated)
> >Suitable cap.:     0.02166uF = 217nF (calculated)

> >Secondary coil:
> >Diameter:           4.8cm
> >Length:               22,3cm
> >Wire diameter:    0.26mm (with insulation)
> >Turns:                 about 860
> >Inductance:         about 6800uH (calculated)

> Well, I am also a beginer but my first coli works so... The only thing I
> would like to point out is that personaly I don't like the flat primary, it
> don't seem to work as good as a rising helix type. Other coilers may prove
> me wrong but in my case when I raised my coil I went from a hiss to nice
> sparks. My guess is the field is more concentrated to the secondary when it
> rises up past the lower last few windings, I at the moment are looking and
> experimenting with different types of a primary coil. I will post my findings.

Ok, ill try to make helix primary coil, if you think it is better.
What should be the rising angle of helix coil?

> On the secondary, try to stick only to magnet wire with a coating, not
> insulated wire, it tends to give you fewer turns to height ratio (I know
> this from experience). Magnet wire can be had almost free if you talk to the
> right person, I went to a motor rewinder and got mine for free. Try someone
> like that first before buying a whole role.

I am using magnet wire (enamelled copper). I bought it 200 meters and
they didnt charge me for the wire, they charged me for winding it to
another reel.

>  I am getting ready to get more but I am going to buy this batch because it is
>  a couple miles of wire that comes in a buckett and exits the top. Buckett good
>  for a cap:)  I have 851 turns and I used a 4" diameter PVC pipe, make no
>  mistake, use only thin wall pipe or something similar. If you use PVC, coat
>  the pipe with varnish before  you wind it.  Your output (35MA) on your
> transformer is low, I get that from 110VAC 12KV Neon transformers, try 2
>  in parallel or look into another with more current.

I have two transformers; 4000V 35mA (soft type, when current is 35mA
output is only about 2000V) and 2000V 40mA. These transformers are
pretty expensive, about 80$ each (I got them for free, my friend's
mother works in neon sign company).

I wound  my secondary to cardboard tube and coated it then with about
ten layers of varnish.

> Anyone please correct me if I am wrong here.

> Also what type of spark gap do you use??? I am still having this battle myself.

I think I will use "normal" spark gap, not rotary.