[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pulsed Tube Coils

>.In a message dated 96-12-31 13:55:40 EST, you write:

>      Hi John,

 >  I found your recent posts on tube coils quite interesting. There is one
 >idea I've wanted to try but haven't as yet, maybe you have and could cue
 >me in on the
 >practicality of it.

 >  I was thinking of building a tube coil using a pair of
 >572-B's (basically heavy duty 811's) with a filtered DC
 >plate supply of about 2500 volts,  the power supply would
 >have a output filter capacitance of about 15 UFD and the
 >circuit would be the typical link coupled feedback setup.
 >  But I was going to use a square or triangle wave signal
 >to drive a power mosfet (IRF-511) switch in the filament
 >center tap (cathode return) to gate the tubes conduction
 > much the same as what a variable rate/dwell rotary gap
 >would do in a disruptive coil, or even use a audio
 >source to modulate a fixed bias reference in the cathode
 >return. Any thoughts on this approach?

 			Mark Graalman

 Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion,  I did some preliminary tests of your idea today
at a low power, using a standard (12" spark) AC tube TC, and the results were
excellent!   I used a horizontal output transistor because I didn't have a
power mosfet.  I connected the collector to the tube filament, and the
emitter to ground (after of course opening the original filament-to-ground
connection).  Then I connected my pulse generator across the transistor base
and ground.

I only turned up the main TC power part way because I was concerned about the
possibility of kickback destroying the transistor, the (TV-type) filament
transformer, or the pulse generator.   But I did obtain a 5" spark, which
showed a nice staccato pulsing.

I did not yet try the technique on  a DC Tesla coil.

In general, your technique may greatly simplify the pulse control circuitry
compared with what I've been using, and eliminate any potentially undesirable
interactions with the grid-leak network.  It remains to be seen if a DC
pulsed tube coil using this system will still require a tetrode and AC (or
other up-ramping voltage) on the screen grid for long spark production.   I
definitely recommend pursuing this cathode-type control technique.  If you
try this technique Mark, I'd definitely be interested in your results.

    John Freau