[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil problem

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Wed Jan  1 08:02:32 1997
> Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 03:22:52 -0600
> From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Coil problem
>
> I just have to say this to everyone, This is a great idea (The List),
> Everyone can exchange ideas and help others with problems, why can't it be
> this way all the time everywhere! I am having so much fun with my coil and
> also talking with everyone here that I am going to build another:)

Glad we could all help! Sounds like you're getting closer!

> I first off am going to get my first one off the ground and complete with
> all goodies in place so I may still have some questions for you guys. I am
> going to possibly be moving into a job as a Laser Tech soon so I will not
> have alot of time but I think this could good as I will come across more
> stuff for the pile. If anyone has needs for stuff let me know exactly what
> you are looking for and I can give you a great deal. I do have hundreds of
> neon transformers and insulators so let me know what you need.
>
> Tonight I found that if I pull the spark gaps apart to far the coil does
> some amazing things but my caps go 'TINK' and I have a saltwater/oil mess.
> NO the bottles will not explode they do go 'tink' and then everything goes
> quiet.

Try connecting groups of them in series-parallel to get more voltage
capability at the same capacitance. SW caps typically don't survive long
in 15 KV circuits without using this approach:

      ----||-----||-----
        |           |
        --||-----||--

  Looks like I might need to do the BIG plate capacitor thing in a
> trash can. I want MORE POWER!!!!!!! I NEED MORE POWER but my house won't
> give it to me! Think the power company will mind if I hop up the pole and
> tap in? (JOKE). If anyone can help with this fuse blowing and cap blowing I
> would be greatfull.

There are a couple of options. The first is connecting the primaries of
pairs of neons in series and running off 220 Volts. The other
alternative is to connect some Power Factor Correction (PFC) capacitors
directly across the transformer primaries. Because neons are highly
inductive, the incoming current is out of phase with the voltage, and
you're pulling heavier current than you would if they were brought more
closely in phase. That's why these are rated in Volt Amperes (VA)
instead of Watts. PFC's will help compensate for this effect, and will
reduce peak current drawn at the mains.

These PFC's will need to be 400+ VAC plastic film type - NOT the
electrolytic motor starting type. These type of caps can often be found
in surplus stores or at Ham Fests. You'll need about 35-40 uF for every
15 KV 30 MA neon you use. Four neons would require a bank of about 140 -
160 uF.

> BTW the fuse is only 20 amps not 30, should I jam a 30 in there? how bout
> going to the main with a new line??

Not unless you want to risk having an electrical fire that may not be
covered by you homeowners' insurance!

> And what about these pole pigs, I can
> get lots of them, do I need some?

Not yet... a pole pig requires some OTHER care and feeding, and should
probably not be considered until you've had a little more experience. A
pole pig requires that you also obtain a high power variac, a
high-current ballast of some type, a rotary sparkgap, much better tank
caps, probably a differently constructed primary and secondary, and
_LOTS_ of forethought and planning on power control, grounding, and
safety - pole pigs won't give you a second chance if you accidently
screw up! Coiling's fun only if you stay alive and healthy... :^)

<SNIP>

Safe coilin' to you, and happy New Year!

-- Bert --