[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire types

> I have seen several posts about using magnetic wire for the secondary
> wiring - my question is this:  should a person use only magnetic wire or
> can you use other types?  What is the best?  I am using 20 gauge in my
> design.

 Nathan,
     A good way to procure good T.C. secondary wire is to look in the
phone book under motors. especially places that re-wind motors. They will
generally sell it to you by the pound (a good wire chart will give a
length per pound conversion factor). Enamel coated solid cooper wire is a
good choice as opposed to rubber insulated wire as the turns per inch will
be greater with the enameled wire, i.e. higher inductance. Solid wire as
opposed to stranded wire is better because of high freq. effects. Also
these motor winding places are able to sell wire in supper long lengths so
no splicing is necessary. This is my quick fix method.
     I myself always want to use smaller gauge wire for low impedance, but
it seems people get better results over all by using 24 - 22 gauge wire
(even larger) especially for small to medium coils.
     As far as the *best* material goes consider making your secondary out
of a supperconducting material :)
                                        -Bert S.