[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Figure this out.

>  You didn't really immerse it in paint thinner did you? Eeee-gads!
>  Paint thinner can stay wet a very long time, especially in small
>  cracks and crevices.  I use Xylene to wipe it off. It's just like
>  Acetone but stays wet a few  minutes longer.

Yes I did use paint thinner.  Since As you know, my intention was to oil
immerse it, I of cource was not concearned if it was a little "wet" when I
got done.  I was more concearned that too volitile a solvent would start to
disolve the insulating coating on the copper wire that forms the windings.

>Wouldn't immersing it in oil degrade the wax-paper windings?
>Those paper windings arn't waxed that good and I would think oily
>paper would just come apart after a while.

Nope. Kraft paper soaks the oil up well and doesnt become any weaker for it.
 In fact, when the paper is impregnated (soaked) with oil, it has a much
higher dielectric
 strenght (depending on the oil) than when its dry.  As an experiment, dunk
any paper you want into oil (typing paper, news paper, Kraft paper etc.) wait
until it is thoroughly soaked and then try to tear it.  I dont recall that it
weakens it much at all, and certainly not enough to make a difference between
the windings of a coil (nobadys tearing on it there).

-DavidF-