[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power versus Spark Length

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, July 12, 1997 3:20 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Power versus Spark Length

All,

Recent work with disruptive coils, and old work with tube coils, suggest
that the power required for a given spark length follows (more or less) a
simple direct square law.

Two coils were built, each optimized for its input power level.  One drew
680 watts and gave a 42" spark, the other drew 2100 watts and gave a
65" spark.   The tube coil results followed a similar trend.

I'll chart some hypothetical and actual results, based on square law
projections:

  watts (wallplug)           spark length

       10.6                           5 1/4"
       42.6                         10 1/2"
       170                             21"
       680                             42"   (actual)
     2100                              65"   (actual)
     8400                             134"
      33.6 kW                       268"   (22 feet)
      67.2 kW                                 (30.8 feet)
     134.4 kW                                (44 feet)
      537.6 kW                               (88 feet)

These results seem reasonable to me, and appear to agree to
a large extent with real-world results.

Comments welcomed.

John Freau