[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum pump

From: 	Kristian Ukkonen[SMTP:kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent: 	Saturday, July 12, 1997 2:22 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: vacuum pump

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> performance of it, I find that the ultimate vacuum is measured in
> microns.  In this case, 100 microns or better (tested to 25 microns).
> I've heard of vacuums being measured in Torr, and in inches of Hg, but
> can anyone out there enlighten me as to how I can convert this unit of
> measure to something that I can understand?

1 Torr = 1 mmHg
760 Torr = 1 Atm
1 micron = 1 mTorr = 1 micron of Hg = 1/1000 mmHg

> I had hoped to use it to pump down capacitors, and would also like to
> use it to evacuate glass tubes and bulbs.  But I don't know if this pump
> is able to do it, or if it is actually too much for the job.  Originally

0.1 Torr will be plenty for caps. In fact, you will boil off the
more volatile fractions of the oil with that so you'll propably
end up using something like 0.1 Atm. Besides the cap tank might
implode with < .1 Torr..

You'll propably contaminate the pump with the xformer oil so
you should figure out some way not to directly pump the tank.
Something like a reservoir that you pump with THE pump, disconnect
pump and connect the cap tank - this requires a valve, of course.

> I think it was owned by an air-conditioner service person, if that helps
> any.  (No it isn't a freon recovery unit, just a vacuum pump...)

They propably used it to pump tubes before filling them with the
freons. Same applies for vacuum-pumps used by companies overhauling
refrigeration systems.

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |