[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hints on building a .08uf cap?

From: 	Steve Falco[SMTP:sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, July 14, 1997 3:43 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Hints on building a .08uf cap?

I have switched from a 12kv 30ma neon (which I toasted) to the H&R
copier trannies.  I now need a lot more capacitance than the .005 uf I
have.  Skip Greiner suggested .08 uf worked well with these trannies.

My question is, should I build lots more rolled caps in 6" PVC pipe
(like 10 more???) or should I build fewer, higher capacitance units?  I
don't know how much capacitance I can get into a piece of 6" pipe.  I
used .093" LDPE in the first cap, with plates about 42" x 14".  I might
be able to get 90" x 14" plates into the pipe, but this still will not
get me more than .0125 uf or so per unit.

Am I better off building flat plate caps?  Would I use heavy aluminum
foil rather than the flashing I used in the rolled cap, to make
terminating all the sheets easier?  And lastly, how many caps should I
build?  Just one huge one, or perhaps four smaller ones?

	Thanks,
	Steve Falco
	sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net