[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: In vs. Out [small magnefier ]

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, July 21, 1997 1:47 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: In vs. Out [small magnefier ]

At 03:20 AM 7/21/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
Dr. R

Any vacuum tube used in a magnifier situation would have to be used as a
true switch and not as a classic oscillator with feedback.  This leaves true
vacuum tubes at a great disadvantage as they can handle the volts, but not
the amps. (for larger systems.)

John Freau's notes on his use of the tubes are well taken.  There is a lot
of dielectric heating and other losses associated with oscillating tube systems.

In the book "Pulse Generators"  1948, a whole chapter is devoted to hard
vacuum tube pulse circuits.  The 304TL is held in high regard in this
discussion.  The real advantage of such tubes is they can be controlled
easily for longer on times than H2 Thyratrons and might supply a very
distinct edge in very small magnifier systems.

I have not physically investigated hard vacuum tubes in magnifier systems.

Richard Hull, TCBOR