[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Transformer oil

From: 	Michael Smith[SMTP:md.smith-at-usa-dot-net]
Reply To: 	md.smith-at-usa-dot-net
Sent: 	Monday, July 21, 1997 12:33 PM
To: 	tesla list
Subject: 	Transformer oil

Greetings all,

I have been searching around Lincoln NE for transformer oil. I had begun
to fear that I would have to make that very unpleasant trip to Omaha,
when I found just the person I wanted at Lincoln Oil.

I can purchase from them Texaco 0600 transformer oil in five gallon cans
for $26.40 a can. Now this seems cheap to me based on what I have heard
referred to on this list. He said that there are two types. One is
uninhibited and one is inhibited.

Here are the numbers :

Type 1 - ASTMD 34487  --  uninhibited
Type 2 - ASTMD 34487 type A  --  inhibited.

The ASTMD is a code that the oil conforms to. I am ingnorant of these
specs and am wondering what experience anyone here has with this. And has
anyone used Texaco 0600?

He listed a bunch of towns, including Lincoln around here that buy from
him and they use it in their pole transformers, so I am inclined to think
that for once, I am going to get  quite a nice deal on something...
but what does the guy at Wilbert Burial Vault Company use it for??? He
was one of the customers that was mentioned.

Michael Smith
md.smith-at-usa-dot-net