[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

From: 	Julian Green[SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 23, 1997 3:50 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

Know what you mean when you say 'need more garage'  I keep blowing
the light circuit in my garage even though no visable arc strikes
the ceiling.

>Why do I get the most impressive arcs when
>its just switched on?

Before you switch on the spark gap is cold and no ionized gas between
the gap.   After switch on the gap heats up and spark quenching goes
to pot.   The sound made by the gap also changes from sharp cracks to
softer pops.  Try adding heat sink your gap.  Avoid sharp points.

I used two 2p coins soldered on the end of screws.  Worked OK for 500VA
noen transformer.

Julian Green
Brentwood
Essex