[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power versus Spark Length

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, July 27, 1997 5:34 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Power versus Spark Length

At 05:15 PM 7/23/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  DR. RESONANCE -

  I was referring to the TC secondary voltage which is increased with an
increase in inductance and in a decrease of di/dt (quenching) according to
the equation

        Vs = Ls di/dt    Ls = inductance    di/dt = quenching

  I agree a larger inductance would require a larger pri cap and charge time
but what is your point? Tesla did refer to this as "mass" or total amount of
wire. That is why I said in a past post that increasing the length of the
secondary wire beyond a certain length would overload the power transformer
and reduce the secondary spark. In other words the power transformer could
be too small for a too large TC.

Finding the optimum size of TC for a certain power transformer is now a
somwhat arbitrary choice. But there are certain limitations that should be
observed such as overloading the power transformer. Richard Hull and others
make this decision from experience. However, it is possible to make this
decision from engineering design.

  I don't see where the inductance in the circuits for impulse testing is
involved.

   John Couture