[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Next Coil

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 29, 1997 1:42 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: The Next Coil

John Freau wrote:

[snip]
> This is really great news!!!   Do you still feel that capacitance in the
> secondary can be substituted for top load capacitance--that they have
> an equivalent effect for the same C value?

Csec and Ctop are equivalent insofar as they both affect the resonant freq
of the secondary coil.  However Csec, which is distributed along the winding,
is isolated from the arc departure point by the inductance of the secondary.

Therefore, only Ctop can provide the microsecond timescale current surges
needed for healthy streamer advancement.

So to answer your question, Csec and Ctop are equivalent as far as PSPICE
is concerned, but I believe that they are distinct entities when it comes
to streamer dynamics.

-GL