[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Next Coil

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, July 31, 1997 4:49 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: The Next Coil

Peter Electric wrote:

> Is there some reason you chose a sphere over a larger diameter toroid?

At that size spheres are easier to build, and I also wanted a geometry
that could accomodate a human observer.  The arc departure points can be
positioned by applying small 'whiskers' on the top electrode.

> Also I have been planning my next coil as a DC system for some time but
> how do you rectify 130Kw?!! Do you believe DC Tesla coils are inherently
> more efficient?

The rectifier array consists of six stacks of diode modules, with the
stacks arranged in the standard 3-phase to full-wave DC configuration:

           O-------------O-------------O---------  +
           |             |             |
         stack         stack         stack
           |             |             |
  PHASE A--O    PHASE B--O    PHASE C--O       HVDC OUT
           |             |             |
         stack         stack         stack
           |             |             |
           O-------------O-------------O---------  -

Each rectifier stack consists of 12 UDE5 'doorbell style' diodes in series,
rated at 5kV, 5A each, for a total per-stack rating of 60kV at 5A.  These
diodes feature internal snubbing networks, and seem quite rugged -- not a
single one has failed yet on my previous coil.  At 120kW the RMS current
_per stack_ is less than 3A, for 12kV phase-phase mains.

I do believe that DC Tesla coils are inherently more efficient for two reasons:

A)  Better power factor

B)  With DC, _every_ firing of the primary ckt is at full energy, keeping
    the streamers continuously ionized

-GL