[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA

Subject:  RE: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA
  Date:   Mon, 02 Jun 1997 06:16:00 -0500 (EST)
  From:   Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Try a 0.1 uF tank capacitor.  I have the same problem
with mine but don't have a 0.1 uF capacitor.
Barry

 ----------
From: "tesla"-at-pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
To: Benson Barry; "tesla"-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
Subject: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA
Date: Saturday, May 31, 1997 1:23AM

<<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>
       Date:  Fri, 30 May 1997 14:53:28 -0700
       From:  Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
         To:  tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi All but especially owners of the H&R 5kv-at-300ma transformers

I will not take up space by reiterating the design of the TC I built to
test the H&R trannies. Final results with the TC are that it develops
66" discharges using a .08uf primary cap, a sync rotary break, and no
other resonant caps. The input for 66" discharges is 90v and about 17A
(read on an iron vane ammeter). This thing is quenching at first notch.
Have not measured k. Higher input voltages exceed the 5kv settings of
the safety gaps and therefore are not usable.

After consulting with several people and with much trepidation, I
decided that the only way to process more power would be to increase the
break rate.

I have a variable speed break driven with a universal motor. I can
control speed with a variac. The rotor has 24 pins on a 11.75" diameter.
The device is probably capable of 7 to 10,000 rpm but that high a speed
is obviously not necessary.

Anyway, using this rotary, the performance at 120pps (presentations/sec)
is very similar to the performance when using the sync break. At higher
break rates the performance degrades and never approaches the
performance at 120pps. Input current does not change much but it is
possible to increase the input voltage to the full mains voltage of
117v.

I am totally snowed by this. I really expected to see more power
processed and longer sparks. I tried break rates up to about 700pps and
also varied the primary taps...to no avail.

I am really looking for suggestions/explanations. This makes no sense to
at all. Maybe it is a reality that a truly synergistic system running
with a sync break is running at maximum.

The good part is that the trannies still live. Running a non-sync break
really beats the devil out of the trannies and these things just keep
putting out.

Please refer to previous posts on these trannies as regards to the
changes which have been made to keep them healthy.

Flames and suggestions will be appreciated.

Skip