[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Rejoined & about R. Quick

Subject:  RE: Rejoined & about R. Quick
  Date:   Tue, 3 Jun 1997 20:46:26 -0700 (PDT)
  From:  "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

"He did not say whether he moved across the
country or across the street."
        Doesn't make a lot of difference.  It's still a damn
nuisance and bother.
"Jim, I have put the VdG aside for more mundane projects around the
house, for a time. I did make one belt and it has held together
structurally.  The feather edges I made keep coming open and it disrupts
the brushes.  The brushes are another story.  All in all I got no(NO)
output from the machine.  I really need to remake the base and get a
more powerful motor.  Even with ball bearings on both pulleys it does
not drive the belt very well or very fast.  This is all being done on
the 6" sphere.  I have everything to make the 12" sphere model but want
to get the bugs worked out on the smaller one.  this is really
frustrating as I has a 3" one working very well."
        If your VDG is working right it should generate when the
pulley is turned by had, assuming everything is clean and dry. ]
Current output will be minute, but you should get voltage and
sparks.  When I have glued a belt and the edges start pulling
apart I trim then with a pair of very sharp dikes, and that
usually works for a while.  Of course, you want the joint
so that the "trailing edge" goes by the brushes.  By the way,
all of my machines have used PVC columns, and have never
had any trouble.  Helps to occasionally wash them with water
and soap (not detergent), rinse thoroughly, and then put them
in the oven for a while (if they're small enough).  You can
also use a hair dryer on the belt while it is running.
        Make that turned by HAND above.  In other words, should
generate appreciably at any speed at all.  If it doesn't, something
is wrong which faster operation won't help.
Ed