[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: one turn heating

Subject:      Re: one turn heating
      Date:   Thu, 05 Jun 1997 21:46:39 +1000
      From:   Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  one turn heating
>   Date:   Tue, 3 Jun 97 08:38:40 EDT
>   From:   pierson-at-gone.ENET.dec-dot-com
>
> >> I suddenly saw some wisps of smoke or something coming from the
> >> secondary.  I shut it right down and found that 23" up from the
> >>bottom,  a turn or more (#15 wire) had gotten hot enough to bubble
> >>the Behr Super Build 50 over coating and had really gotten it to
> >>smoke.
>
> >I don't have any idea why one turn or section of the secondary would
> >get real hot unless it is from overcoupling or not being right on tune.
>         Utter speculations follows

How about some more speculation. As I understand it,  normal TC
secondary will act like a 1/4 wave aerial - it will have a very high V,
low I at the top and the reverse at the bottom, a very high I and a very
low V.
If you overdrive the coil, splitting occurs which will cause the
secondary to resonate at double the frequency and the very high I
appears somewhere near the middle, possibly causing it to overheat?

Unfortunately, my single 60Ma Neon Xformer doesn't cause anything to
overheat!

Cheers,

Peter E.