[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:  Re: Secondary wire & insulation
  Date:   Sat, 7 Jun 1997 18:17:52 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 15:01:29 -0400 Edward J. Wingate
<ewing7-at-frontiernet-dot-net> wrote;

> Alfred,
>
> I beg to differ with you. I have an 18" dia. classic coil wound with #18
> thhn machine tool wire to a winding length of slightly over 3' which
> will produce 8 to 9 ft arcs. This is almost 3 times the coil length in
> spark output, which I consider *fairly* efficient. This coil is *not*
> space wound and has never ever broken down between turns in the 6 years
> it has been in operation.
>
> I have obtained 5 times the coil length in spark output( 10 to 12 ft)
> with some of the extra coils I have used on my magnifier system. These
> extra coils are tight wound with plain old #18 heavy polythermalize
> magnet wire and don't break down between turns either. I space wound my
> first coil with magnet wire, but later learned that it isn't necessary
> or even desireable on a properly tuned system. In fact you lose precious
> inductance by space winding!
>
> If you would like to see for yourself:
>
> http://users.deltanet-dot-com/~stcole/hv/wingate.html
>
> None of the pictured coils are space wound.
>
> Richard Hull has achieved 10+ times the coil length with an extra coil
> that is a mere 4" X 12" and is *tight wound* with #30 Kynar wire wrap
> wire!! That one doesn't break down between turns either but it sure gets
> HOT!

Ed, it is certainly possible to wind close wound coils when one
specifies the insulation for their wire, BUT not all of us can afford
to do that! Most of us get what we can, when we can offord it, and
that usualy means the lower grades of insulation.  When dealing
with the lower grades or unknown insulation I feel that space winding
is the only safe way to go! Most of my coils have spaced windings and
all of them are good performers having discharges of from two to
three times their length and one with discharges of over five times
it's length!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/