[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?

Subject: Re: How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?
  Date:  Sun, 8 Jun 1997 09:15:36 +0000
  From: "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Sat, 07 Jun 1997 19:37:11 -0500
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:  How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?
>   Date:   Sat, 07 Jun 1997 09:35:33 -0500
>   From:   Shawn Collins <rubidium-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> I have seen many pictures on various pages of people drawing sparks to
> metal
> objects they are holding on to. At what frequency of operation is this
> safe,
> and how  did you ever get up the guts to try it ? I know the primary
> side
> can kill, but according to skin effect formula (which I can't find right
> now) at 170kHz the current is only .06" deep.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Actually, Shawn, there is a trick to taking a high voltage arc from
a Tesla coil.  The secret is to utilize the skin effect.  Since the
current is only going to be on the outer 0.06 inches of skin, we
Tesla demonstrators take coarse sandpaper and completely abrade the
outer 0.06 inches of skin off our bodies.  After the nerveless scar
tissure grows back,  we cannot feel the high voltage current flowing
over the surface of our skin.  Thus the real reason for the name
"skin effect."

Just kidding!

The arc to a metal object is best done while standing on a plastic
milk crate or other insulating platform.  The most you will feel is a
mild tingle.  If you are standing on concrete, it can hurt like hell!
 There is a danger that a spark from the primary to the secondary can
put a dangerous current on the secondary, so I always use an
insulated platform.  I have video of my stepson taking 4 to 5 foot
arcs to a wrench - high voltage was shooting out of his sneakers into
the air!  We had him take off his shoes and we got some excellent
video of sparks coming off his toes and toenails.  Richard Hull has
incorporated some of this footage into one of his numerous videos.

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net