[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:  Re: Secondary wire & insulation
  Date:   Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:43:07 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

-snip-

<< Perhaps a heat lamp or a warm-air fan blowing across could enhance
 drying
 and setting of the windings, although I've never used either of them
 yet...

 But I've found that by using this (fairly involved) technique, the
 secondaries I've produced have been of excellent quality, never broken
 down by discharge and have virtually minimal RF losses.
 I also use clear poly-ethylene so that it leaves a brilliant copper
 shine
 (I also use enamel-coated copper winding wire).
 This usually takes 1 week or so to do this, but it's worth it!

 My formers are usually PVC pipe - well prepared and sealed.

 I'm next going to try out 15-20" Sonotubes... I like big coils!

 Anyway, just thought I'd share my secondary constructions with
 everyone...

 Catchya!

 Rod

Rod,

I have wound all three of my secondaries on a lathe and had good
results.
 The last two, I layered on thick coats of cleary poly and left the
lathe
turning while it dried.  I tried heat lamps and they caused air bubbles
come up to the surface and it looked like hell - but maybe the air
needed to
get out anyway??

Ed Sonderman