[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu

Subject:  Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu
  Date:  Tue, 10 Jun 1997 01:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 11:48 PM 6/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:      Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu
>       Date:  Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:42:03 +1200
>       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>snip
>    This last weekend I tried the now-bolstered 2.5" high litz coil
>on the minisystem I am playing with and the single shot length (low
>rep rate) exceeded the winding height - just. There was a faint
>corona visible on the outside of the coil varnish. Increasing coupling
>beyond that point made it shoot straight up and down with no hope of
>streamer growth.
>
>FWIW,
>Malcolm

Malcolm,

Nice little coil!!  I am taking a giant leap backward to the "small"
with
the current magnifier system #12.  Like all systems before it, it is a
totally experimental effort.  I am using an H2 Thyratron as the switch
and
at 100watts DC input (average) , can get about 6" of spark with 3.6KV
input
voltage.  The peak tank currents are 220amps! (~.8 megawatts peak pulsed
power) This, far exceeds the 4C35's 100 amp peak plate rating.  The
pulses
are exactly and precisely uniform at 1.1KPPS and 1.3us total duration.
The
tube takes it on the chin quite well!  When on, it lights every
fluorescent
lamp within 8 feet!  I haven't even begun to explore this system yet.

I still say tight wound is where the inductance is to be had and thus,
the
volts.

Richard Hull, TCBOR