[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri/Sec spacing

Subject:  Re: Pri/Sec spacing
  Date:   Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:35:26 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Sun, 08 Jun 1997 23:40:59 -0500
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Pri/Sec spacing
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:  Re: Pri/Sec spacing
>   Date:   Sun, 8 Jun 1997 10:46:25 -0600
>   From:  "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>     To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>>
>
> TO: William Noble
>
> It is not necessary to use any plex to provide pri-sec insulation.  With
> 4" coil start the bottom on your sec. winding 1.5 inches above a
> horizontal
> line drawn thru the top of the primary (ie, this line is higher for
> copper
> strap than copper tubing due to the straps higher profile).  Use a flat
> spiral primary for this type of coil.  Pri-sec spacing should be 1.5 to
> 1.75 inches.  With this configuration no arc over and no plastic
> necessary.
>

> Would also suggest a 24 inch winding length with the 4" dia.  12 x 3 or
> 14
> x 4 top toroid.  15 turn primary (can be tapped as necessary), .01 MFD
> with
> 60 ma drive or .02 with 120 ma drive.  Will produce 32-34 inch sparks
> with
> .02 MFD and 120 ma drive.  Use 20 turn primary if you are using a .01
> cap.
> 4 electrode RSG synchronous at 1800 RPM for best results.  (old RTTY
> machine motor)
>

> DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net
>
> ----------
> > From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: RE: Pri/Sec spacing
> > Date: Saturday,June 07,1997 6:15 PM
> >
> > Subject:  RE: Pri/Sec spacing
> >   Date:   Sat, 7 Jun 97 06:33:43 UT
> >   From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
> >     To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> >

> > I don't think the plexiglass will do much good.  I have wound my pri
> > with 1/4
> > inch tubing on 1/4 inch plexiglass, with the inner turn of the primary
> > routed
> > through a hole and back to the outer edge, so there is the plexiglass
> > between
> > the feed line to the inner turn and the rest of the primary.  I noticed
> > this
> > last weekend that if I let the feed line get close to the plexiglass, I
> > would
> > get a significant corona between the outer turns and the feed line to
> > the
> > inner turn.  This suggests to me that the insulation afforded by the
> > plexiglass won't do much to protect against a HV strike.
> >
> > ----------

Gee Durlin Cox (AKA by some as DR.RESONANCE),

I have a coil that is also 4 inch diameter by 24 inches wound length
which regularly produces at a minimum 2X its resonator length (48
inches) with a 60 mA-at-15 kV neon and a simple static gap (no need for a
more
expensive rotary and 120 mA neon xfmer).

To what method of engineering excellence do you credit your own state of
performance art producing 32-34 inch discharges from a very similar coil
at
twice the input power?

Is your technical advise given here of commensurate value to that
contained in the the Tesla handout you are widely distributing?

Inquiring minds want to know.

rwstephens