[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Coil Power Supply...

Subject: Re: Primary Coil Power Supply...
  Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:48:17 +0100 (BST)
  From: Phil Mason <Phil.Mason-at-Bristol.ac.uk>
    To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi fellow UK coilers

> >I'm trying to build my first Tesla Coil in the UK and am having
> >trouble trying to find a suitable transformer to drive the primary
> >coil.

>         I've had the same problems in the UK trying to find a source of
> transformers for my first coil. The only idea I've had is  to buy

I presently have 5 microwave transformers which I got when I was at Uni
(from the halls of residence - the half-life of student microwaves is
short!). There was a back issue of TCBA news which had a good guide to
wiring the things up. I can check if you want. Whilst I haven't had the
opportunity to try it yet, I would be inclined to pair these up to get
4kV at 250mA. I guess a welder would do for current limiting. (any more
than this and you would have to look for new places to plug the things
in!).

I once phoned up a local plumber, who GAVE me three oil furnace
transformers. These are the poor man's neons, and served me pretty well
on
my first coil. Hamfests are also a good source of hefty transformers.
Whatever you do, don't buy anything new! My last 10kV 17mA unit cost
10p!

Hope this helps.
Phil

Dr. Philip L. Mason                   email : Phil.Mason-at-bristol.ac.uk
Research Assistant
Centre for Communications Research
Room 0.40
Queens Building
University Walk                              Telephone : 0117 928 9729
Bristol BS8 1TR                              Facsimile : 0117 954 5206