[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 vs. 30 ma

Subject:  Re: 60 vs. 30 ma
  Date:   Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:52:21 PDT
  From:  "Mad Coiler" <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

>Subject:  Re: 60 vs. 30 ma
>  Date:   Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:25:26 -0400 (EDT)
>  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

><<
> >If your system is currently operating and in tune, changing from a 30
>ma
> >transformer to a 60 ma transformer will require no changes to your
> >system.
> > Based on my experience, you should see about a 50% increase in
> >performance.
> > Say from 12" discharges to 18" or 20".  It probably won't double the
> >performance.
> >

> Are you certain? In my Tesla Coil the primary capacitor is
> directly across the high voltage leads of the xformer. For
> most cases, in order to draw the rated current (ie 60mA) you
> need a capacitance value so that the capacitive reactance (Xc)
> is equal to your voltage (ie 12000v) divided by max current
> output (ie 60mA). Or Xc=12000/.06
> If your capacitor is matched for a certain voltage at a
> certain current output then that will change when you use a
> different voltage or different current. For example, if you
> had a capacitor matched for 12kV and 30mA and you put a 12kV
> 60mA transformer across it, it would still only draw 30mA even
> though the transformer can put out up to 60mA. This is only
> general though, in a Tesla Coil system there are ohter things
> like spark gaps that can draw the extra power. Putting a
> higher current rated transformer in the circuit will increase
> the output, but most likely not as much as if the capacitor
> was matched. There are other things like peak amps, etc. that
> also increase with an increase in capacitance.
>
> Hope this helps,
> T.Stewart
>  >>
>Well, I have said this before, but will say it again.  I think folks
>spend
>too much time worrying about matching caps to transformers.  The
>transformer
>needs to be able to charge the cap up to the peak voltage (or whatever
>the
>gaps are set to) a few times each half cycle  -  and that's it.

     I wouldn't say that's it, I mean it probably depends on what kind
of configuration your working with (I have seen two variations). I know
that with changing some of my transformers I got some improvents when I
adjusted the capacitance.

T.Stewart

Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail-dot-com