[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary coil (aluminum ?)

Subject:     Re: Primary coil (aluminum ?)
      Date:  Sat, 14 Jun 1997 08:11:05 -0500
      From:  Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:   Primary coil
>   Date:   Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:32:09 -0500 (CDT)
>   From:  aasphalt-at-win.bright-dot-net (Lynn Anderson)
>     To:  <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> I have flat spiral wound coil in a broken dehumidfier. The coil is 11"
> o.d
> and is made of an aluminum tube that is flattened so that is 1/4" wide
> by
> 1/2"deep.There are 11 turns in the coil.I plan to use a neon
> transformer.
> Will this coil be appropriate to use? Thanks.
> "Tars and Stripes Forever" from  Anderson Asphalt. Lynn Anderson

Lynn:

Yes, it would "work", but I would have to suggest going with round
copper tube.  The first choice would be the thin wall refrigeration
tube, while for the 1/4" and 3/8" tube primaries the standard thicker
wall stuff found at any hardware store would also be fine.  I mentioned
those two diameters based on what I recall you mentioning about your
available transformers a week or so ago--neon I think, 30 ma?  The
flattened aluminum tube would have a greater tendency to promote arcing
due to the sharper edges, so try to stick with the full round tube for
primary applications.  I think you might want to also determine what
other materials you have available for the secondary construction and
then use one of the calculation programs available to determine your
operating frequency.  This will lead you to the number of turns, or feet
of copper tube required for the primary.  Hope you have your cap picked
out or selected the size, you'll need that too.  E-mail me direct if I
could be of any help,  be happy to attempt to clear up any points if
possible.

Chuck Curran