[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Re: Polyethylene

Subject:  Re: RE- Re: Polyethylene
  Date:   Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:32:43 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:10:00 GMT Robert Michaels
<robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org> wrote;

>         Polyethylene cannot be melted in air:  It burns (starts to
>         char, actually) before it reaches its melting point.
>
>                 This is a generalized rule of thumb.  Some
>                 of the very low molecular-weight polyethylenes
>                 do melt at a low enough temperature - i.e.
>                 before combustion.
>
>         The melting (and for that matter, welding) of polyethylene
>         is done under a nitrogen atmosphere or blanket for this
>         reason.

For anyone contemplating melting down polyethylene milk jugs to mold
into capacitor plates it should be relatively easy to make and air
tight glove box and flood it with nitrogen before melting the jugs.
Of course one would have to use electric hot plates since nitrogen
won't support compustion.

>         If one were intent upon making one's own polyethylene film
>         at home in one's spare time (about as sensible as making
>         one's own 100-w lightbulbs - IMHO):

The reason for even considering it is because some people like those
in Australia for example have great difficulty getting usable
polyethylene

>         Obtain some low-molecular weight  =emulsifiable=
>         polyethylene.  Such is usually sold in the form of pellets.
>         Emulsify this is a proper mixture of surfactants and water
>         (consult mfg'rs. technical service dept. for starting-point
>         formulations).  Spread the emulsion out on a glass plate
>         in a thin layer (special hand tools are available for
>         spreading films in any desired thickness).  Allow to dry
>         (oven may be used, or not), and peel the film from the
>         glass.

I've been of the impression that polyethylene was a thermo-setting
plastic and as such required a raised teperature to crosslink the
polyomers.

>         Then go have your head examined.

I'ts all relative Robert, if one can't find useable polyethylene then
it is not so crazy to try and make it, besides if one did find an
easy way to recycle polyethelene milk jugs into H.V. capacitors
it would be of great assistance to the environent.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/