[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Bombarder I - what is it

Subject:  RE: Bombarder I - what is it
  Date:   Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:16:34 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sun, 15 Jun 97 23:37:28 UT William Noble
<William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com> wrote;

> I've been reading the posts about the bombarder transformer and it's
> attributes, but I don't have a clear idea of what you are talking about
> or what it's intended (original) purpose is - I understand that this is
> a pretty large open frame transformer, and that neon sign shops have
> them, but beyond that I'm in the dark (e.g. the plasma is out)  Can
> someone elucidate??

Bombarder transformers are basicaly high current neon sign
transformers without the internal current limiting. They are used in
neon sign manufacture to "outgass" the sign prior to filling with a
gas. The idea is to rarify the atmosphere in the tubing and establish
a HOT plasma arc inside that wil cause all gasses traped in the pores
of the metal electrodes and the walls of the glass tubing to be
cooked out before adding the chosen gas for the sign ie. neon, argon
, xenon, ect. They are typical 5 killowatts in size and VERY
EXPENSIVE! When a sign store goes out of business another store will
quickly snatch up the bombarders so it is EXTREMELY rare for one to
fall into the hands of the public. It is typicaly easier and cheaper
to get a 10 kilowatt pole pig!