[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Mini Coils

Subject:  Re: More Mini Coils
  Date:   Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:44:35 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:07:12 -0500
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: More Mini Coils
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:  Re: More Mini Coils
>   Date:   Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:16:33 +0500
>   From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:36:16 +1200 Malcolm Watts
> <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz> wrote;
>
> > Hi Coilers,
> >             Here are some results from the weekend's playing around.
> > Since I have taken no photos, I am presenting sufficient information
> > for you to duplicate my results. I have achieved 4" attached single
> > channel streamers (with 4.5" at odd times but not often enough to be
> > convincing) using a power input of 20W.
>
> WOW! Do you realize thats 60 watts per foot of discharge!!! I think
> you've broke the worlds record, your doing better than Richard Hulls
> latest magnifier!

Alfred, All,

Not to rain on your parade or anything but I just have to correct
you.  What Malcolm achieved was most definitely *NOT* 60 watts per foot
of discharge.  He reported producing some 4 inches of discharge for
20 watts input.  As we (that have actually gotten our hands dirty and
built coils that is, and I'm not saying you haven't) know well, the
ratio between input power and output spark length is far from linear.
Streamers issuing from a topload terminal seem to crave increasing
power at an exponential rate to their length.

The record may still sit somewhere around 200 watts (?, just pulling a
number out of the air) for a foot of discharge.

rwstephens