[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Mini Coils

Subject:      Re: More Mini Coils
       Date:  Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:56:39 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello Alfred, all,

> > Hi Coilers,
> >             Here are some results from the weekend's playing around.
> > Since I have taken no photos, I am presenting sufficient information
> > for you to duplicate my results. I have achieved 4" attached single
> > channel streamers (with 4.5" at odd times but not often enough to be
> > convincing) using a power input of 20W.
>
> WOW! Do you realize thats 60 watts per foot of discharge!!! I think
> you've broke the worlds record, your doing better than Richard Hulls
> latest magnifier!

Well I think it's agreed that spark follows at least a square if not
cubic dissipation law so I don't know about linearizing the result
like that. But I do think it's worth noting that things can be
achieved with good supply-to-coil matching. Although I didn't set out
to do this (this is actually a system I am building for someone) it
is most interesting to see what can be done if power is used in a
reasonably efficient manner. I posted earlier on some of the power
reaching the primary vs power drawn at the wall in the coil charting
exercise. There is a heck of a lot of work to be done in that area I
think and I think John Freau's results also support that contention.
    One of the best things to pop out of this is that I now have a
firm guideline on how to match the coils I am charting to the results
they are achieving and suggest where improvements might be made. That
can only be of benefit to everybody :)

Malcolm

** If it's Under 10 Amps it's Leakage Current **