[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More Mini Coils

----------
From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, June 17, 1997 11:55 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: More Mini Coils

Robert W. Stephens wrote:

> Not to rain on your parade or anything but I just have to correct
> you.  What Malcolm achieved was most definitely *NOT* 60 watts per ft
> of discharge.  He reported producing some 4 inches of discharge for
> 20 watts input.

20W / 4in = 60W/ft by my calculation.  Remember, the unit W/ft is not
a length, but is rather a ratio used to determine coil effectiveness.

> As we (that have actually gotten our hands dirty and
> built coils that is, and I'm not saying you haven't) know well, the
> ratio between input power and output spark length is far from linear.
> Streamers issuing from a topload terminal seem to crave increasing
> power at an exponential rate to their length.

All too true :^<   Perhaps a more direct measure of coil effectiveness
would be to normalize the W/ft ratio to operating power level.
None the less, Malcolm's 'little wonder coil' does provide an
interesting data point, in a sparsely populated area of tesla coil
parameter space.  Way to go, Malcolm!

-GL