[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More Mini Coils

From: 	Robert W. Stephens[SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, June 19, 1997 6:34 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: More Mini Coils

Alfred,

This effect is quite probably due to the time necessary to ionize a
cloud around the top terminal which can then support streamers at a
lower voltage than unionized air.  This is the likely phenomenon that leads to
final breakout since the time factor has been reported by Ed to be measured
in seconds, not milliseconds.  The peak voltage on the top
terminal will be approximated by the first pop of the primary gap and
will certainly be achieved in no more than several ringing
cycles. For a 60 Hz mains operated coil this can be less than 8 mS
between pops.

This was discussed on the List in some detail a while ago when it was
also determined how the streamer tends to grow on the ion channel
laid down with successive pops.  It seems to be very much like the stepped
leader phenomenon of full sized lightning.

rwstephens