[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cap setup suggestions needed

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Friday, June 20, 1997 2:11 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re:  Cap setup suggestions needed

"        Last question-  I cracked one of these caps open and found that
it consists of just two plates each no more than 3 sq. ins. and about an
inch of that strange ceramic dielectric.  How do these get .0036MFD??
This must be because of the K value of that stuff.  This amazes me.
"
	That material is barium titanate of one form or another.  It
has an extremely high dielectric constant!  However, it is quite
lossy and you have to watch the capacitor heating or you will
quickly short out your capacitor bank, one piece at a time.
The reason the things work as well as they do (I'm still using
them here on my small coil) is that they have very low series
resistance.
Ed