[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Mini Coils

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Thursday, June 19, 1997 2:45 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: More Mini Coils

Hello John, all,

Dear me. I obviously haven't been entirely clear on this. You know
what a high-powered attached discharge looks like, right? Well that
is exactly what I have consistently got with the system in question.
There is no leeway for error. I am talking point-point! If you don't
believe me, reproduce the experiment. You have all the data necessary.
I am not into giving all my hard work away, but on this occasion, I am
observing the rules applying to verification because I didn't
photograph the result. I doubt whether anybody is going to measure 4"+
any differently from myself.

>   Keep in mind that the secondary terminal can be charged by more than one
> break/charge before it will discharge. In that case the wattage per spark
> length is doubled or tripled etc. per spark!

Personally I say that is completely wrong. I would like to see a
substantive proof of that statement. I scoped this system running. The
secondary duty cycle was no more than 5%. It was completely quiet for
the bulk of the time between gap fires. This is no different to any
other system I've scoped either.

>   Note, also, that the primary capacitor can never be charged to more than
> the source voltage by increasing the input wattage. Why does increasing the
> input wattage hopefully increase the secondary voltage if turns are not
> involved?   Vs = Ls di/dt  is not resonance.

You increase the BPS if your quench allows it. This is exactly what I
achieved by closing the gap up. Power input was constant. It was the
extra ionization at a lower output voltage which allowed the
streamers to coalesce into a single channel.

>   How should the input wattage and the power factor be measured for the
> surges of input current?
>
>   After many years of research I am still pondering these TC questions.

Best of luck.
Malcolm