[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10amp Hump

From: 	Robert W. Stephens[SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, June 22, 1997 9:07 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 10amp Hump

George,

Sounds like your pig might be leaping into 60 Hz resonance once some
mid value of variac setting is reached.  If this is true, further increases in
the variac setting will not appreciabley increase the HV output of the
pig.  Rather than risk life and limb poking around on the HV side of
the pig, an easy and safe way to confirm this would be to install a 120
volt 60-100 watt incandescent lamp across the other 120 volt primary
winding of the pig.  If the pig *is* snapping into resonant
saturation that 120 volt lamp will make a sudden leap from very dim
to somewhat brighter than normal for its rating (it may suddenly have
~170 volts AC going to it).  Let us know what this simple test shows.

rwstephens