[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: split toroid

From: 	Bert Hickman[SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 25, 1997 12:52 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: split toroid

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Dan,

It's not quite that simple. The effective capacitance is actually a
function of the "outer" surface and it's distance to everything around
it that's not tied to the same electrical potential. Splitting the
toroid into two halves, but connecting them together is sort of like
adding two half-toroid's worth of capacitance together to arrive at a
full-toroid's worth. The inner surfaces really don't contribute much
additional capacitance unless you were to seperate them by a
considerable distance.

BTW, since the top of the secondary is electrically connected to the
toroid, some of the toroid's effective capacitance is correspondingly
reduced (or "shaded") from the value it would have if it were isolated
("isotropic").

Hope this helps...

-- Bert H --