[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 18:46:39 -0500
From: "Edward J. Wingate" <ewing7-at-frontiernet-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

<large snip>

> > > Hi Ed,
> > >
> > > A lot of people have told me that Sonotubes are patently unsuitable for
> HV work,
> > > that they absorb moisture, the ink conducts, etc.
> > >
> > > But your half-wave coil success clearly shows that these tubes can be
> used for
> > > high-performance TC applications.  Could you tell us the brand of paper
> tube
> > > that you used to make your coils?
> > >
> > > -GL
> >
> > Greg,
> >
> > The sonotube I used for my twin was obtained from Keystone Builders
> > Supply in Rochester, N.Y. and is made by Sonoco Products in Canadaigua,
> > N. Y. I believe Sonoco Products has other plants around the country.
> > Keystone has other outlets around New York state, but I don't know if
> > they have other places around the country. Most large commercial
> > builders' supply companies should have similar products. Just be certain
> > that the tubes are stored indoors in dry conditions and have not been
> > exposed to rain or snow. As I said before, these aren't the ideal
> > coilforms, but when you get up into the 18" to 36" diameter coils, more
> > ideal materials aren't as easy to find to find or as reasonably priced.
> >
> > Ed
> >

> Ed, Greg, and all,
> I have noticed that a lot of little park playgrounds have these slides that
> are made from plastic tubing that is large enough for the children to slide
> inside of them. The middle section is a straight section that is bolted to
> the curved sections. This straight section would make an ideal coil form,
> wouldn't it? I wonder who actually manufactures the plastic sections, and
> what they would charge for one? Anyone out there with a tape measure who
> can tell us what the dimensions (length, diameter) on the straight tube
> are? I know they are made of plastic with a high insulation value. I would
> guess that they are fairly expensive, but it looks like they would be
> excellent coil forms. Has anyone out there used any of these?
>
> Fr. Tom McGahee

Tom,

Isn't it strange how we Tesla coil builders consider almost everything
we look at as possible coil parts? How many of us are preoccupied with
watching the tops of telephone poles as we drive?

Seriously, I have seen the tubes you speak of in large building supply
and recreation stores. All the ones I have seen have a right angle form
protruding outward on each half 180 degrees apart to facilitate bolting
together the two halves together. These forms would have to be altered
or eliminated to make the form suitable for winding.

Ed Wingate