[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 11:27:46 -0800
From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

Ken Smith wrote:

> My thought was to use 1 inch poly tube as verticals spaced say around a 3
> foot circle with a suitable number of formers up the height of same and at
> the top for rigidity.  Although this would only be an approximation of a
> circle (depending upon the number of pipes) - is seems to me that this
> wouldn't matter. How you would rig this on a jig for winding is another
> matter - but in principle would it work ?

Ken,

That was my thought as well, when I wound my coil.  Due to financial constraints
I ended up using 2x4's (wood!) as the verticals, 12 verticals total between two
circular sheets of plywood.  The secondary therefore has 12 facets and 12 edges,
far from being a smooth right circular cylinder.
But apparently 12 facets is a close enough approximation, as there is no visible
corona from the edges, and the popular equations and nomographs for predicting
standard coil parameters work on this coilform as well, with good accuracy.
In fact, the secondary coilform is one of the few components on my coil that I
haven't had to replace, modify or upgrade in over 6 years of operation.

-GL