[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Re: C.P. Cap]

-- BEGIN included message

<<

 Also, to the few that have had a CP cap blow, I'd like to collect in one
 thread the failure mode and positioning of the capacitor upon bursting.
 Could those of you that have had one go please email me the circumstances?
 Operating voltage, size of sec, etc., of course, but I'm more interested
 in physical positioning.  What was the orientation and proximity to the
 primary, and how close to ground?

 Stan Harle
 Alamogordo, NM

 Stan, when my C.P. cap blew, it was mounted horizintally about 14" under the
primary and probably 24" above the cement driveway.  I was using a 14,400
volt pole pig at about 7kva.  The secondary is 6.0" in diameter.  The rotary
gap speed was very high, maybe close to 1,000 bps.  This capacitor I
purchased on my own from C.P.  It is .025 mfd rated at 15 kv operation.  I
received this cap on June 9, 1995.  The part number is TC253-25-225  -  which
sounds like a 25 kv rating actually.

 I now have another C.P. cap that I bought from David Lawrence which is the
same only with larger terminals and rated at 20 kv.  I believe this cap is
from the original group purchase.

 Ed Sonderman >>

-- END included message