[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Re: Bunch of stupid quest]

-- BEGIN included message

T>Calle Laakkonen wrote:
T>>
T>> Hi everyone !

        Hi.

T>> I'm asking some basics but I really need to know more.

        That's why we're =here=, sir, all of us.

        (So what else is new?)

T>> What is tank circuit ?

        In Tesla work, there is none.

        It's an old (and for that matter current) radio/rf term.
        It's argot for the primary resonant circuit in a power
        oscillator.  So, by extension and analogy in Tesla coils
        (if you absolutely insist) it's the primary coil and capacitor
        combination and associated circuitry.

T>> Should the spark gaps be connected in series or paraller ?

        Definitely.

        This type of question could provoke fist-fights in Tesla
        bars (if there were any Tesla bars).

        It'll work either way -- but better you should discuss
        the abortion issue for the amount of controversy this
        topic can provoke.

                BTW - Anyone for opening a Tesla bar?  A bar with
                      a Tesla/high-voltage theme?  A few Tesla
                      coils of various sizes, a couple of Jacob's
                      ladders, maybe a plasma globe at every table,
                      some theme drinks?

T>> What is safety gap ?

        It's a spark gap set slightly wider than the working
        gap(s) -- so if excess voltage develops the safety gap
        will conduct and lead the voltage harmlessly away, usually
        to ground (but sometimes merely around that which one
        wishes to protect).

        How many of them to use and where to put them is another
        abortion-type question.  You're sure to draw "sparks" on
        this one.

T>> How to prevent high voltage spikes striking back to wall ?

        Well, a =real= coiler would move the wall, or knock it
        down.   Else,

        - Don't run so much voltage (you have to live within your
                limits).

        - Work outdoors.

        - Pray a lot.  (And go to church every Sunday).

        - Erect a grounded, conductive shield in front of the wall.
             Many use chicken wire on suitable supports, but if you
             go this route, better combine this step with the one
             directly above.

T>>         -Calle

         Robert Michaels

-- END included message