[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Re: anone else want a copy of that 1964 tesla article]

-- BEGIN included message

Hi all, William Noble wrote:

> I have a giant flash tube (18" discharge length with large screw terminals at
> each end - I believe it's from a lightning effects machine - any guess as to
> the probably operating voltage --- should I just connect it across the neon
> sign Xformer with my .0001 microfarad mica capacitor and see what happens
> (15Kv AC, so I suppose that's about 21KV peak - maybe with the capacitor it
> would make a relaxation oscilator???

IMO you should check out the ratings on the tube in terms of max.
continuous dissipation and instantaneous power rating. Flashtubes are
not designed to run continuously. I've found they get rather hot,
even at quite modest power levels. They might outgas and be ruined.

Malcolm

-- END included message