[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)]

-- BEGIN included message

Hi John,
            The problem I have with using different k's is that the
gap losses being the defining losses in the system are going to be
quite different for each. How can you compare an extra coil system
with a two-coil system when the losses are different? I think you'll
discover nothing about the merits of the different approaches with
regard to operational mode.

> > >I believe the comparisons should be made using the K that produces the
> > maximum spark for the system. This is because the magnifier system requires
> > a high K secondary but the classical coil uses a lower K. Only the input
> > wattage would be fixed.
> > >
> > >I often wondered if a critically coupled classical coil would be superior
> > to other combinations. I do not believe a critically coupled coil has ever
> > been built. There are several parameters that have to be coordinated. Rp
> > would have to equal Rs and Lm = sqrt(RpRs)/(6.283 F). Also Lm = K
> > sqrt(LpLs).  Note that critical coupling involves more than only a single
> > hump test.

I would say that in order to state that unequivocally, one first has
to define things even more closely - e.g critically coupled while the
secondary is ringing up but not issuing sparks? While it is issuing
sparks and the gap is still alight?

What say?
Malcolm

-- END included message