[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More magnifier pics

-- BEGIN included message

>From: Bert Pool <nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net>
>Subject: More magnifier pics
>
>I've sent Chip another batch of pictures of our magnifier which we set up
>last Saturday night. A storm front came through with 20 to 30 mph winds, and
>ruined any chance of getting serious sparks.  We did have a small fire,
>however, so all was not in vain :)
>
>It then rained for 24 hours straight.  I had to let the yard dry out for
>three days before I could roll all my stuff back around to the garage.
>
>We'll try again soon.
>
>BTW, I just took some pics of us pulling flaming arcs off one of our 34,500
>volt potential transformers.  These hot flaming arcs are the biggest I've
>ever seen. The initial spark jumps over five inches and we can pull the
>flame out to 18 to 24 inches before it extinguishes.  It reminds me to be
>very cautious of pole pigs and potential transformers!  I'll post these as
>soon as I get them developed.
>
>Bert Pool
>nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net
>
>Bert,

We did a thing like this on one of our video report tapes.  You are right
those main tranney arcs are damned scarry!  Try stikin' the arc in between
the poles of a heavy alnico magnet.  You can't pull even a 2" arc then!
(quenching).  We also have this stunt on the same tape!  Some of the arc
plasma tongues are incredible viewed in slow motion or still framed.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

-- END included message