[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Shielding Computers.

-- BEGIN included message

I am not a tesla expert (clearly) and so will defer to those who are, but
there are some techniques for shielding against EMP (the pulse that goes with
a nuclear explosion) which would seem to me to cover it pretty well.  Of
course you may not want to bother.

1. enclosures must have good electrical seal all the way around - that would
mean putting a metal cover over the fronts where the disks go in, and a very
fine screen over the fan.

2. EMP diodes across all low level signals - for example, keyboard, telephone,
speaker, etc - back to back zeners may also be ok, but zeners are slower as I
recall

3. usual filtering on power supply, and then internally, add EMP or other over
voltage protection circuits between the PS and the other electronics.  (I just
happen to have 2 such things left over from some computers I upgraded -
overvoltage SCR devices to crowbar the 5V, etc that mate to the power plug
into the motherboard - e mail me separately if you want them

4. I personally would want to use an isolation xformer or something if the
computers were to be powered up. if off, then I don't see why unplugging them
and wrapping them in aluminum foil wouldn't do the trick.