[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Tube Type Tesla Coils]

-- BEGIN included message

To All -

I have noticed lately that sometimes over 50% of the Tesla List postings
refer to tube type TC's. It should be noted that tube type TC's are not true
Tesla coils.

Tube TC's operate with continuous sine waves from a radio transmitter type
of power supply. The load on the transmitter is not the usual resistive
antenna type load but a reactive coil circuit load. This device uses coils
and capacitors in a much different manner than the way they are used in
standard Tesla coils. There is no charging of a primary capacitor to create
dampened sine waves like the typical classical TC, etc. This type of
operation produces brush type sparks and sometimes disruptive sparks
depending on the adjustments.

The tube operation and the classical coil TC (or magnifier) operation are
two completely different methods of producing sparks. The standard classical
TC operates with a VSWR of about 10 to 1000 while the tube TC operates with
a VSWR of about 1 to 3 like most radio transmitters. I show a graph of these
two types of operation in the Tesla Coil Notebook. Has anyone tried to
measure the VSWR of their classical or tube coils? The Corum's said they had
made these measurements but gave no details. I have tried to make these
tests but did not have much success.

At one time I started to add a chapter to one of my books that would cover
tube TC's. I soon realized that I could not find enough information on these
devices to develop a method of engineering design criteria that was possible
with the typical classical TC's.

It appears that now there are several coilers that have enough information
to write a tube TC book and publish it for other coilers interested in this
type of device.

My question is " Should tube TC's be on a separate Tesla List of it's own?".
Coilers who are interested in tube types will then not have to scan thru
classical coil (or magnifier) postings to find the information they need.

John C.

-- END included message