[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about primary coils

-- BEGIN included message

> I'm new to Tesla Coils and I'm sure my question will point that out.
> Can someone explain why in the primary coil you would have it spiral up the
>secondary coil at a 30 degree angle.  Why not a 75 or 90 degree angle.

> Thanks

> Peter

Peter,

Welcome to the wonderful world of coiling.  The primary can spiral at any
angle from 0 degrees to 90 degrees.  A 0 degree angle pri. is called a flat
spiral or pancake pri. and is a popular type.  The 90 degree or cylinder pri.
is less popular because it may over-couple if it's too small in dia., and
because sparks may jump from the top of the secondary down to the top of the
primary.  Yet, many fine systems use the cylinder primary.  The 30 degree (or
15, 20, 35, degree, ad nauseum) primary is a compromise that has some of the
attributes of the flat and the cylinder primaries.  To a large degree, the
primary angle is a matter of practical preference, what really matters is the
ultimate coupling or k factor that results.  I personally use the 20 degree
primary in most cases, but in small tube coils, I often use the cylinder
primary because in general tube coils can withstand tighter coupling without
the specter of racing sparks.  In general, the exact angle will have little
effect on the coil's operation.  If the angle is too great, and causes racing
sparks to appear, then just raise the secondary a little to stop them.

John Freau

-- END included message