[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (Why?) OLD Tubes/Coils

-- BEGIN included message

T>Question:
T> Why all the interest in tube-driven coils?  An awful lot
T>of work and can't give the spectacular performance of conventional
T>coils.  If you want to fry stuff with the discharge fine, but if
T>you like raw, obscene sparks nothing beats a good spark gap.
T>Ed

        There are so many reasons, I could scarcely count them.

        -- Tube coils can operate 24-hrs. per day , 7-days per
           week without straining anything.

        -- It's a different modality - new territory to explore.

        -- Their relative silence makes them practical in family
           settings; in urban neighborhoods; even in small
           apartments. [Why do you think they call spark-gap
           coils "disruptive"?]

        -- There's nothing in a tube coil to burn up or out,
           except the tubes (which normally have a life of
           thousands of hours - and that may be extended by
           conservative operation).

        -- Co-laterally, the capacitors are much more gently treated
           in a tube coil and stand a chance of lasting =forever=.

        -- The rf in a tube coil can easily be modulated if desired

        -- There's less fabrication involved, size for size.

        -- Plus, it's much faster to assemble a tube coil and
           get it running.

        -- They are less finicky, more predictable.  For example
           there's no spark-gap to be unceasingly fiddling with.

        -- No spark gap means less ozone and nitrogen oxides formed
           during operation.

        -- No spark gap means less short-wave ultra-violet to hide
           from.

        -- They can be tuned electronically, if desired, to within
           a  Hertz or so.

        -- Their operation is less fearsome - so a better thing
           to use in introducing novices to the hobby.  They don't
           look intrinsically dangerous or perhaps as something
           which ought to be illegal.

        -- They tend to be a better bet for theatrical and classroom
           demos.

        -- Spark-gap coils are like a fraternity beer-bash; Tube coils
           are a sophisticated cocktail party.   [ Those who prefer
           the one usually wouldn't want to be caught dead at the
           other ]

   I could go on (and on, and on) but (maybe) you're starting to get the
   point.  Tesla coils are a lot like sex -- wild and uninhibited
   (and risky) has its rewards, but then again so does just
   snuggling up next to a camp fire, holding each other tight, and
   gazing at the stars.

                                        All coiled up,

                                        Robert Michaels

-- END included message